Day 2, Thursday: Educate us on something you know a lot about or are good at. Take any approach you'd like (serious and educational or funny and sarcastic)
On a serious note, the thing I know the most about is Chemistry. More specifically, I know quite a lot about Organic Chemistry. No, not "Organic" like the label currently thrown around a lot for marketing purposes. Organic = carbon based.
My Masters thesis topic was very narrow (the applications of inherently chiral calixarenes, specifically as chiral ligands for palladium catalysed asymmetric reactions, if anyone reading this has any knowledge of chemistry). However, I think that my years in the field, as well as four years of tutoring undergrads in organic chemistry, has led to me having a fairly good general knowledge in organic reactions (incl named reactions), mechanisms, synthesis skills and the like. (I hope that I'm also a good demonstrator and tutor to my students!) My general knowledge of other fields of chemistry is also fairly good, but I tend to learn and know more about a field if it's what I'm working with every day. Now that I've switched to a more inorganic/physical chemistry project, let's hope I learn quickly because there is still a lot here I need to know! (The challenge of this is why I chose to switch fields, I found that after almost three years doing solely organic chemistry, I needed to stretch my mind in a different direction).
I think I'm also quite good at general knowledge. I'm handy to have on a pub quiz team. Except if it's an AlchemUS pub quiz. After winning the two quizzes hosted last year (and being the only member in common with those teams) I've been unofficially banned from competing.
On a less serious note, here are a few other things I'm good at:
- Remembering the entire lyrics for songs I haven't heard in years (sometimes over a decade)
- Finishing an entire slab of chocolate/batch of cookies/anything sweet in one sitting
- Doing computer whatnot (I'm also pretty awesome at speedy touch typing)
- Cooking and baking
- Creative writing
- Failing to put freshly laundered clothes anywhere else but in piles on the floor near the closet
- Fidgeting with my hair
- Painting my nails/ doing my makeup / taking care with my appearance
- Dressing for my size and shape
- Being near-surgically attached to my phone
- Singing off key
- Stretchy flexibleness (it's a word, I swear)
- Making up words to suit my needs
- Writing backwards by default and confusing the fuck out of people who see my scribbles
- Can I say wine? I think my wine sensory analysis skills are pretty good (I get lots of practice)
Quick quiz for everyone who made it to the end of this post: what are three things you are good at (serious or silly)? Go! :)