Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Today I'm picking up on the Beauty Tag from Diva Desle :) No preamble, let's jump right in...
Is your hair naturally curly or straight?
Pretty much straight, which just a wave or two to annoy me.
What is your natural hair colour?
Nondescript medium brown. Very exciting.
Do you dye it yourself or go to a salon?
When I was dyeing my hair dark (everything from chestnut to mahogany to almost black) I did it myself. However, now that I'm on the blonder side, I go to a salon for highlights. I don't trust a DIY bleach!
How often do you wash your hair?
Normally every day (it's fine, straight and gets greasy very quickly), although I'm trying to wash every second day and dry shampoo/topknot it on nonwash days.
Do you wear the same style every day or change it?
I usually wear it up for work (chemicals/fire plus loose hair is a no-no). I usually switch things around a little bit, but I normally end up wearing my hair in either a topknot, a high ponytail or a dutch braid.
Do you do your own mani/pedi or go to a salon?
I always do my own nails (I went for a salon mani once, but they didn't do a better job than I can do myself, for an unreasonable amount of money). I love experimenting with colours and nail art, and it's fun to multitask while watching TV or something.
How often do you change your nail polish?
I change my polish when I get a chip that not fixable. Typically this is every 7 to 10 days. However, this can be more often if I'm being heavy on the solvents in the lab (we wash all our flasks/beakers/etc with pure acetone, so if you're not careful the polish can just run straight off your nails).
Do you polish your toes in the Winter or just in the Summer?
I polish my toes all year around, although in Winter I will be lazy and go quite long inbetween touch-ups.
How long does it take you to put on your makeup?
Between 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how complex I'm going (eg liquid liner takes a tad longer). I've got my routine well-practiced, so I think I'm as quick as possible with what I do.
What do you do first, face or eyes?
I do my face first (primer, concealer, foundation, blush, highlighter), then my eyebrows, then my eyes (shadow, liner, waterline, mascara) then finish with my lips.
Do you "collect" makeup or just buy what you need when you need it?
I usually buy things as I need, or when I see an item I frequently use on sale. Every now and then I will buy something just for the hell of it, but thankfully I'm perfectly content with cheaper products so my budget doesn't get blown.
How often do you wear false eyelashes?
Only on special occasions when I want to amp up the drama. My natural lashes are more than sufficient the rest of the time.
Do you do a full face or makeup everyday?
Do you wear makeup when you are home alone, or with family?
It depends. If I'm having a wallow-at-home-in-self-pity day, then no, but usually yes.
Will you leave the house without makeup?
How many high end products do you have?
I haven't bought any, but I have gotten a generous collection of Estee Lauder products from my mom.
How often do you wash your makeup brushes?
If I remember, every week.
Do you plan your OOTD every night or decide when you are getting dressed?
I try to plan the night before, and set out what I want to wear. If I have to decide in the morning, I'll never make it to work at a reasonable time!
How often do you change your handbag?
I don't switch very often. I actually rarely use my big handbags, because then I end up dragging half my belongings around with me for absolutely no reason. I have a few small cross-body bags that I usually end up using, depending on which one suits my outfit best.
What time do you get up and go to sleep?
I'm usually up by 05h30, but I'm a terrible sleeper, waking up several times during the night and often struggling to get back to sleep. I normally go to bed anywhere between 22h00 and 01h00.
How often or when do you work out?
I walk to/from work, as well as having to walk to/from grocery shopping etc. Does that count? I used to go walking/jogging/running but thesising has broken that habit. Something to get back into now. (I've never set foot in a gym and I want to keep it that way.)
Left- or right-handed?
How tall are you?
5 ft 1.
Do you speak a foreign language?
Fluently, I just have English and Afrikaans.
How many pets do you have?
I'm not allowed pets at my flat in Stellenbosch, but our family dog is with my parents. She's a Jack Russel cross Fox Terrier cross Who Knows, and is the most adorable thing imaginable.
Do you keep a list of products to try as you see other posts?
I try keep things in the back of my mind.
How did you come up with your blog name?
I can't actually remember. I just know that I was thinking of words that describe me and "whimsical" popped out.
What kind of camera do you use for photographs?
Most of the photos (esp nails and outfits) are taken with my phone (Galaxy SII). Some of the others are taken with my Nikon Coolpix point-and-shoot or with my dad's Canon DSLR.
How often do you clean your house?
I try to do something small every day, rather than having a full clean once a week, mostly because I don't have the time to set aside more than 30 minutes at once.
What is your favourite colour?
Do you swear?
Normally, no. When stressed or under pressure or pissed off? Severely.
What are you doing with the rest of your day?
Sorting out my things in my old MSc lab (store/gift/chuck). Organising all my MSc paperwork. Going to chat to my PhD supervisor. Meeting up with an old friend. Vacuuming the flat.
If you read this, then I tag you :)
Wednesday, 9 January 2013
Have you ever seen your favourite drink under the microscope? These amazingly beautiful images are created by BevShots. These images were captured by crystallizing a drop of the desired drink on a microscope slide and the photographing the image as seen through a microscope that polarizes the light.
Japanese Rice Lager
PS If you go over to the BevShots website, you can buy merchandise with these beautiful images, from prints and canvases to fashion accessories!
(Via Twisted Sifter)
Tuesday, 8 January 2013
I think Tip Top's Beach Babe is one of my favourite colours - it's just the perfect shade of blue. (You can see my original review over here, and you can see it used it nail art over here, here, here and here.) The formula is perfect, the brush is a dream and it's really long wearing. For a little added shimmer, I used three coats of Mavala Sparkling Blue on my left ring finger - Sparkling Blue has medium grain turquoise glitter together with fine silver and red glitter to give it dimension.
Thursday, 3 January 2013
Wednesday, 2 January 2013
Every year, I make a pen-and-paper list of New Years Resolutions. I thought I’d share some of my 2013 resolutions and goals. Some are big, some are small, some are deep and meaningful, some are a tad shallow (and some are just a tad too personal to share on this blog).
- Take better care of my hair and skin. (In the past year, my skincare and haircare needs have drastically changed – i.e. my previously super oily hair now tends to be dry and brittle– so I’m going to have to make some changes to my beauty routines). (This also includes: stop being such a lazy idiot and wash my face before bed every night!)
- Write more. (I’ve always loved creative writing, but in the past year I just never seemed to have the time to do anything more than paragraphs and word doodles, so I’m looking forward to focusing some more on that dusty novel…)
- Be more organised. (I was very organised for the first half of 2012, then everything fell apart… Time to get back to a more organised chaos!)
- Take more (and better) outfit photos. (Hopefully sometime this year I’ll be buying a decent DSLR so I can stop taking outfit photos with my phone on self-timer, balanced on some piece of furniture.)
- Get back into a fitness regime. (This also disappeared as the work load went up. I’m going to be starting a new regime with a fitness buddy next month.)
- Wear all the pretty things in my wardrobe! (For example, I have approximately a million pair of shoes, but I always seem to wear the same 5 pairs each season.)
- Be more involved in blog interaction. (I promise, I read every single amazing comment that gets left on this site, but I never seem to get around to replying in a reasonable time frame. Time for that to change!)
- Be more grateful for the little things that happen every day. (I started a gratitude jar yesterday – looking forward to seeing it fill up over the year.)
- Travel. (I haven’t gone away for over two years and I’m in desperate need of an exciting holiday!)
- Cut down on the junk food. (For obvious reasons of obviousness.)
- Think before I speak. (The filter needs to kick a bit more often…)
- Read more, rewatch TV less. (I have a terrible habit of rewatching TV episodes when I’m bored. Even if it’s just last week’s episode of New Girl. That I’ve already seen twice. Terribly unproductive habit. And I have a stack of books literally as tall as I am that I’ve bought and need to read.)(Seriously. Not even exaggerating.)
- Care less about what others think. (Because I’m fabulous, and if they don’t agree, well, they’re welcome to their wrong opinion.)
- Be better at budgeting. (And be honest about my bad spending habit.)
- Take more risks. (Because I need to get out of my comfort zone.)
Tuesday, 1 January 2013
Just a peak at what I wore for New Year's Eve (I meant to take a full set of outfit pics but time ran away from me, so these two Instagrammed shots will have to do...). I went to a braai on a friend of a friend's wine farm, which was awesome. A night of good food, great wine and fabulous company - what better way to ring in the new year? In any case, it was a fairly casual affair, but nevertheless, I wanted to wear something shimmery, so I paired this metallic top with black skinny jeans and sparkly kitten heals. I slicked my hair into a massive cloud of a sock bun right on top of my head - I tried wearing it down in big waves at first, but the wind was not co-operating with me. Some of the makeup I'm wearing is products that I'm really loving at the moment and wearing over and over and over again, so expect some reviews in the coming weeks :)