Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Some of the small and big things I love and am thankful for
- The opportunity to go on my first Organic Chemistry conference!
- The chance to present a poster on my work, and give a short lecture :) (possibly one of the most terrifying things I've done in a while, but incredibly rewarding!)
- My favourite everyday-go-to ballet flats finally being back in stock in my size! (It's always a mission finding size 3's) (Who cares if I have over a dozen of the same shoes? A girl needs all the different colours!)
- The best things about coming home after a trip: (i) realising that your 14 hour bus ride is over (ii) getting to use your own shower again (iii) collapsing into your own bed
- George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire". Loving these books SO much!
- Breaking out of my comfort zone and trying out new fashion trends and colours, and finding things that actually look good on me! (Loving my new hot pink bodycon skirt - even though I thought I'd never ever be able to pull it off!)
- Yummy red wine! (Yay for being back in Stellenbosch!)
- New perfume :) (In case you catch me occasionally smelling my wrists - I promise I'm not a crazy person!)
- My smartphone, which proved invaluable on the trip to Bloemfontein!
- On that note, GPS! Best. Invention. Ever!
- Fuzzy warm socks, perfect for cold autumn nights!
- The "chalkboard" wall in my apartment
- My hair officially being beyond the awkward growing-out phase :)
- My latest TV obsession: 30 Rock. Yes, Tina Fey is an icon. I love her. Also, Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy is sexy. No arguments.
- Having to turn on the office heater last night for the first time this season. Winter is coming!
- And the number one thing that I am thankful for this week:
- LIVING IN THE FAIREST CAPE!!!
Sunday, April 15, 2012
So, the time has finally come to go on conference! (For the record, I can now officially say I'm not a fan of waking up at 3am on a Sunday.)
Consequently, I won't be blogging over the next 5 days, but stay in touch with my adventure through Twitter and/or Instagram :-) (username @laurajane0103 for both)
Farewell for now!
Thursday, April 12, 2012
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Monday, April 9, 2012
Thursday, April 5, 2012
This week has mostly been rather quiet, as I've been spending a lot of time in the lab (hence the lack of blog posts - I'm trying to stay away from my computer and the temptation of internet procrastination!). There were a few interesting moments, however.
Last night, a few friends and myself took a midweek break for cocktails and pizza at one of our favourite haunts - Trumpet Tree!
Stellenbosch has gotten incredibly quiet, with everyone that wasn't away for the varsity vacation now away for the Easter weekend. I think I'm the only person in my apartment block this evening - it's rather creepy. I'm going in to work tomorrow, but after that I'm looking forward to going to my parents house for Easter. Least of all because I miss being able to make these: (cocktail-making kit added to my wishlist!)
Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Monday, April 2, 2012
|Playing around with new hair accessories.|
|Having lunch out on the grass, under a tree|
|Cocktails at dinner!|
|New lipstick (please forgive the over-tired eyes)|
|From sunshine, to rainy evenings in front of the fireplace...|
|Red wine ♥|
|The best Waldorf salad I've had! (The fennel shortbread & sorbet was a brilliant addition)|
|Spicy chicken, with chickpea puree|
|6 Elements dessert. I think I'm in love with beetroot ice-cream|