Tuesday, 24 April 2012
Some of the small and big things I love and am thankful for
- The opportunity to go on my first Organic Chemistry conference!
- The chance to present a poster on my work, and give a short lecture :) (possibly one of the most terrifying things I've done in a while, but incredibly rewarding!)
- My favourite everyday-go-to ballet flats finally being back in stock in my size! (It's always a mission finding size 3's) (Who cares if I have over a dozen of the same shoes? A girl needs all the different colours!)
- The best things about coming home after a trip: (i) realising that your 14 hour bus ride is over (ii) getting to use your own shower again (iii) collapsing into your own bed
- George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire". Loving these books SO much!
- Breaking out of my comfort zone and trying out new fashion trends and colours, and finding things that actually look good on me! (Loving my new hot pink bodycon skirt - even though I thought I'd never ever be able to pull it off!)
- Yummy red wine! (Yay for being back in Stellenbosch!)
- New perfume :) (In case you catch me occasionally smelling my wrists - I promise I'm not a crazy person!)
- My smartphone, which proved invaluable on the trip to Bloemfontein!
- On that note, GPS! Best. Invention. Ever!
- Fuzzy warm socks, perfect for cold autumn nights!
- The "chalkboard" wall in my apartment
- My hair officially being beyond the awkward growing-out phase :)
- My latest TV obsession: 30 Rock. Yes, Tina Fey is an icon. I love her. Also, Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy is sexy. No arguments.
- Having to turn on the office heater last night for the first time this season. Winter is coming!
- And the number one thing that I am thankful for this week:
- LIVING IN THE FAIREST CAPE!!!
Sunday, 15 April 2012
So, the time has finally come to go on conference! (For the record, I can now officially say I'm not a fan of waking up at 3am on a Sunday.)
Consequently, I won't be blogging over the next 5 days, but stay in touch with my adventure through Twitter and/or Instagram :-) (username @laurajane0103 for both)
Farewell for now!
Thursday, 12 April 2012
Monday, 9 April 2012
Thursday, 5 April 2012
This week has mostly been rather quiet, as I've been spending a lot of time in the lab (hence the lack of blog posts - I'm trying to stay away from my computer and the temptation of internet procrastination!). There were a few interesting moments, however.
Last night, a few friends and myself took a midweek break for cocktails and pizza at one of our favourite haunts - Trumpet Tree!
Stellenbosch has gotten incredibly quiet, with everyone that wasn't away for the varsity vacation now away for the Easter weekend. I think I'm the only person in my apartment block this evening - it's rather creepy. I'm going in to work tomorrow, but after that I'm looking forward to going to my parents house for Easter. Least of all because I miss being able to make these: (cocktail-making kit added to my wishlist!)
Monday, 2 April 2012
|Playing around with new hair accessories.|
|Having lunch out on the grass, under a tree|
|Cocktails at dinner!|
|New lipstick (please forgive the over-tired eyes)|
|From sunshine, to rainy evenings in front of the fireplace...|
|Red wine ♥|
|The best Waldorf salad I've had! (The fennel shortbread & sorbet was a brilliant addition)|
|Spicy chicken, with chickpea puree|
|6 Elements dessert. I think I'm in love with beetroot ice-cream|